More Children Living in Single-Parent Families
In 2012, 35% of children (24.7 million) lived in single-parent families. While there was little change in this indicator from the previous year, the percentage of children living in these households has increased by 13% (4 million children) since 2000. Kids living in single-parent families are four times more likely to live in poverty than those with married parents (37% vs. 9%). Rates of children in single-parent families range from a high of 49% in Mississippi to a low of 20% in Utah.
- Children in single-parent families
- Child population by household type
- Children living with cohabiting domestic partners
- Grandchildren in the care of grandparents
- Single-parent families with related children that are below poverty
- Married-couple families with related children that are below poverty