Register Now: Virtual Event on Youth Justice Reform
The Annie E. Casey Foundation, in partnership with the Columbia Justice Lab, will host a virtual event, Youth Justice at a Crossroads, at 2 p.m. ET on Monday, June 26, 2023. The event will focus on sustaining the momentum of youth justice reform in the face of challenges, including:
- heightened concern about gun violence and crime; and
- rising numbers of young people in youth detention.
- the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic:
- young people’s mental health;
- youth justice system staffing shortages; and
- gaps in developmentally appropriate services.
Tailored to youth justice system leaders, practitioners and service providers, the program offers both pragmatic short-term solutions and building blocks for longer-term actions, prioritizing the well-being of young people who encounter the legal system and community safety. Attendees will come away motivated and better prepared to pursue a more just and equitable future.
The event will open with a keynote address by Liz Ryan, the administrator of the federal Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. Attendees will be able to choose one session in each of two time blocks:
- First block: Practical, immediate responses to current challenges (two concurrent sessions):
- Surging gun violence.
- Capacity challenges in both facilities and communities.
- Second block: Longer-term actions to promote youth development and safer communities (two concurrent sessions):
- Building the capacity of communities, families and young people to thrive, knowing they can live, work, play, learn and grow without the fear of violence.
- Right-sizing systems to deliver effective interventions where, when and how they will do the most good.
More information about each session will be available closer to the event. Prospective attendees should register even if they are unable to attend the full webinar.
Date and time: 2 p.m.–5 p.m. ET, Monday, June 26, 2023