Trauma and Adolescent Development Webinar With Shantel Assata
The Annie E. Casey Foundation hosted a live webinar on trauma and adolescent development on Tuesday, Sept. 19, featuring Shantel Assata, LCPC, a behavioral health clinician working with young people in the Washington, D.C. area.
By watching a recording of this this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Understand how trauma affects adolescent development based on the latest research and Assata’s own work with young people.
- Learn tactics to improve services and programs aimed at youth with trauma experiences.
Alexandra Lohrbach, a senior associate with the Casey Foundation and an expert in working with young people involved with public systems, opened the webinar. She was joined by Assata, who has diverse counseling experience with vulnerable populations in many settings. She holds a master’s in forensic psychology and is a licensed clinician.
During the webinar, Assata references the following resources:
- Total Estimated Cost of Child Abuse and Neglect by Suzette Fromm Reed, Ph.D.
- Estimated Annual Cost of Child Abuse and Neglect from Prevent Child Abuse America.
- The Economic Burden of Child Maltreatment in the United States by Cora Peterson, Curtis Florence and Joanne Klevens.
This webinar was the second in a series focused on youth mental health. The topics were inspired by attendees of the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s Youth Mental Health Summit held with the Office of the U.S. Surgeon General in April 2023. Held in Atlanta, this convening brought together young leaders, practitioners, advocates, funders, educators and policymakers from across the country to learn from each other and identify promising strategies to improve the well-being of youth.
Future webinars in this series include:
- October 17 – The Stages of Adolescent Brain Development: Understanding the Journey of Cognitive and Emotional Growth
- November 21 – Addressing the Mental Health Needs of Young Immigrants
- December 19 – Exploring Community-Based Approaches to Youth Mental Health Care
- January 23, 2024 – Preventing Adverse Childhood Experiences: Creating Safe and Nurturing Environments