Over the past 20 years, the Annie E. Casey Foundation has helped hundreds of leaders in the public and nonprofit sectors accelerate results for children and families through its signature results-based leadership development approach. Increasingly, leaders in the philanthropic sector, charged with investing in collective impact, collaborative initiatives and partnership efforts designed to make large-scale positive change, also need to build their collaborative leadership skills and results orientation to make a measurable difference through their funding decisions and the technical assistance and capacity building they offer.
To meet this need, the Casey Foundation is offering a new program to equip funders to accelerate results. Investing for Results is a short, intensive program dedicated to closing disparities by giving funders the frameworks, skills and tools needed to shape their grant making so that it clearly communicates and guides their own organizations, their grantees and their partners toward results-oriented and highly collaborative strategies. Additionally, like other Casey leadership development opportunities, Investing for Results will build capacity in five key competencies:
- Using data to drive decisions and track progress
- Advancing racial equity and opportunity
- Using oneself as an instrument of change
- Developing adaptive leadership skills to solve complex problems
- Working collaboratively to achieve results
Investing for Results will be offered twice in 2017. The first program will take place over two three-day sessions, and the second program will take place over three two-day sessions. The dates are listed below and you are asked to designate your preference.
Applications are due by Jan. 6, 2017, and can be submitted at any time until that date. Selections will be announced by Jan. 23. To apply, visit aecf.fluidreview.com and register for an account or sign in.
Investing for Results: Giving funders the frameworks, skills and tools needed to shape their grant making so that it clearly communicates and guides the funding organizations, their grantees and partners toward results-oriented and highly collaborative strategies with an emphasis on closing racial disparities.
- The program will be delivered in either two or three sessions approximately six weeks apart, with one phone or video coaching session.
- The program is very specifically designed for funders of collective impact or collaborative initiatives and addresses the issues they face, including juggling multiple roles.
- Grounded in Casey’s leadership framework, the program will be designed to help funders make progress in their own work.
- Sessions will include many opportunities for practice and application as well as peer and faculty consultation.
- Participants will be selected through a competitive application process. A lead funder will submit the application, identifying a core result they will focus on and a small team of two to three to attend (including the lead funder). The additional team members will be other funders investing in the same collaborative initiatives, or, perhaps, other members of the lead funder’s staff.
- Costs for the program will be shared by the Casey Foundation and the participating funders. Casey will provide faculty and staff to run the program, materials, food and meeting rooms. Participating funders will fund their own travel, hotel and other related travel expenses.
2017 Investing for Results Dates:
- Session I: April 4–6
- Session II: June 6–8
- Session 1: July 19–20
- Session 2: Sept. 27–28
- Session 3: Nov. 7–8
Round I location: one session on each coast in retreat setting
Round II location: one session each on the west coast, mid-country and east coast