Scholarship Opportunity for Juvenile Justice Professionals
The Annie E. Casey Foundation is sponsoring 50 scholarships for juvenile justice professionals to attend the American Probation and Parole Association’s (APPA) winter training institute. The virtual event runs from Feb. 22 to 26, 2021.
Scholarship recipients will participate in the institute’s juvenile justice track, which consists of six sessions presented in partnership between APPA and the Casey Foundation. These six sessions are:
- Juvenile Probation Transformation: A Vision for Getting it Right
- Family-Engaged Case Planning: A Critical Component of Probation Transformation
- Diversion Reimagined: Not Every Kid That Breaks the Law Needs a Probation Officer
- Incentives and Case Development Plans: We Have an App for That!
- Juvenile Probation Meets Wraparound: An Innovative Approach to Supervising Youth at High-Risk of Reoffending
- Reducing Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Juvenile Justice: How Arizona is Using Data and Partnering with Law Enforcement to Reduce Arrests for Youth of Color
As part of the application process, candidates must explain how the training sessions will aid their juvenile justice work — including their efforts to promote positive behavior change, personal growth and the long-term success of young people.
Some important deadlines and dates:
- Jan. 29, 2021: Applications due
- Feb. 10, 20201: Scholarship notifications complete
- Feb. 22 to 26: Winter training institute
- Late May to Late August 2021: All scholarship recipients fill out a short survey describing the training’s impact on their professional roles
Each scholarship recipient must submit their own registration form, attend all six juvenile justice sessions, and have access to virtual training equipment, such as a computer. The scholarship covers the institute’s registration fee, which the APPA will reimburse if paid in advance.
For more information, go to APPA or contact Travis Johnson at the Council of State Governments.
Apply for a scholarship to attend the APPA’s winter training institute
Read more about Casey’s vision for transforming juvenile probation
Check out the Casey-funded practice guide for the juvenile probation field